Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Grandma Maggie Mudgett

My Grandmother Maggie Sage Mudgett passed away last week. She left behind her 10 children and plenty of grand children. I have lost count but I think there are about 30 grandchildren and 13 Great Grandchildren.


My Dad was gracious enough to fly me and my brothers out to Michigan for the funeral and what turned into a family reunion. We arrived in Adrian Michigan Thursday evening and headed over to my Aunts for Hot Dogs and soup (my Grandma's favorite foods). After dinner we headed back to the lodge and visited with everyone in the lounge.



On Friday we had a trip down memory lane. We went to go and visit the farm that my Dad and his family grew up on. My Grandmother and Grandpa lived on a 92 acre farm in Tecumseh MI and sold it over 40 years ago. The lady that bought it is still living there and was gracious enought to open up her home for all of us to see. It was amazing to walk through the home. She had the exact same appliances and get this...the exact same wall paper was up. It was so neat to see.

We then drove to see the factory that my Great Grandfather co-founded. My Great Grandpa Sage created the first air compressor and co-founded the company Tecumseh Products. We then drove on the see the 2nd house my Dad grew up in and the rest of the Sage houses. Later that evening we had dinner at the county club followed by the vigil.






Saturday was the day of the funeral. We headed to Tecumseh where she was to be laid to rest next to my Grandpa Mudgett. The headstones my family has are amazing. I have never seen anything like it. We had the Sage's which was my Grandma's side and then the Mudgett Sage headstone where my Grandpa is and Grandma will be. The funeral was at St. Elizabeth and was beautiful and was followed by lunch in the dining hall. I learned from the Father during the funeral that My Great Grandpa built the Catholic school just so my Aunts and Uncles would have a catholic school to go to. They also put my Great Grandparents incharge of the roast beef fund raising dinner. So what did they do, built a kitchen to go with it! They were very generous and giving people and we will miss all of the Mudgetts and Sage's who have passed.

We ended the day back at my Aunt Julies Lake house for food, fun and to watch Michigan State. I had a great time seeing everyone and is glad that my grandma is reunited with her husband!


No comments: